19 Dec Tripoli Agreement On Peace 2001
DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/ June 13) – The 1976 Tripoli Agreement, signed by the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) and the Philippine government (GPH) under then-President Ferdinand Marcos, “was successful” and “we had peace,” but it remained on the sidelines with the change of government in 1986, said Senator Ferdinand Marcos. Under President Ramos, on 2 September 1996, in Malacanang, the final peace agreement between Misuari and the chairman of the government peace committee Manuel Yan, a retired ambassador who had retired as a general, was signed. “The Tripoli agreement was a success. We had peace. We stopped fighting with the MNLF. But it was ignored in 1986, so that some of the agreements reached in the Tripoli agreement were not implemented. He went on the track,” Marcos said at a press conference Saturday afternoon at the Park Inn Hotel. It`s no longer the mother`s agreement,” Marcos said at the press conference. “So we had already started (successfully). It wasn`t over. We had a semblance of peace.
We had a structure that could have brought us peace. But again, as I said, it was ignored when the change of government came in 1986 and the fighting resumed,” said Senator Marcos. Against the advice of her security sector, the country`s first female president went to Sulu on 5 September 1986 to meet Misuari, then exiled in Djiddah, to discuss the resumption of peace talks that had failed under Marcos` dictatorship. Talks resumed shortly, but found no peace. When the popular power overthrew Marcos` dictatorship in February 1986, the administration of Aquino, which took power – the government of President Benigno Simeon Aquino III`s mother, Corazon – revived peace talks with the MNLF. It was during Ms. Marcos` visit in November 1976 that the agenda for peace talks was established in December 1976. invite her mother to the hearing “and ask her why she supported the peace negotiations that led to the granting of autonomy.” Marcos` son and namesake said the peace agreement with the MNLF under the auspices of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and the Libyan head of state was “a success.” It was also under Ramos when the peace talks with the MILF, at that time a larger force than the MNLF, began.
Ramos sent his executive secretary, Ruben Torres, on 2 August 1996 to Cagayan de Oro with the ghazaali Jaafar vice-president in charge of political affairs. The MOA-AD was then declared unconstitutional by 8 to 7 votes. But the Supreme Court also recognized that it was “an essential part” of a series of agreements needed to implement the Tripoli peace agreement signed in 2001 by the government and MILF with grP-MILF. The Arroyo administration also signed a peace agreement with the MILF – the Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain (MOA-AD) – but its formal signature on August 5, 2008, was overturned after the Supreme Court passed an injunction that barred the government peace panel from signing the document. Formal peace talks with the MILF were scheduled to begin in 1997, continued until the Estrada administration waged a “universal war” against the MILF and was revived under the Arroyo administration, which led “all peace”. The agreement provided for the creation of an autonomous region of 13 provinces and the cities of Mindanao and Palawan- then new: Basilan, Davao del Sur, Lanao del Norte, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, North Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sulu, Tawi-tawi, Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur – all in Mindanao – and Palawan and its interior towns.